NewsPulse
← All stories
Healthabout 20 hours ago· 2 min read

U.S. Implements Major Ebola Travel Restrictions as African Outbreak Spreads

The Trump administration has imposed unprecedented travel restrictions in response to a rapidly spreading Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Uganda, and South Sudan. U.S. citizens and permanent residents returning from affected regions must now be routed through three designated airports for enhanced screening.

The Outbreak and Initial Response

On May 18, 2026, CDC, DHS, and other appropriate federal agencies announced enhanced travel screening, entry restrictions, and public health measures to prevent Ebola disease from entering the United States amid ongoing outbreaks in East and Central Africa. The outbreak, which started in the DRC and has spread to neighboring South Sudan and Uganda, is estimated to have 750 suspected cases and 177 suspected deaths, the World Health Organization on Friday said, adding that the "real scale of the outbreak is likely far larger."

Designation of Entry Points

American citizens and permanent residents departing affected countries must fly into one of three U.S. airports. U.S. passport holders and U.S. nationals returning to the U.S. from Democratic Republic of the Congo, Uganda and South Sudan within the last 21 days will be funneled to Dulles Airport in Virginia, to be screened for symptoms and interviewed about possible exposure. Enhanced screening efforts have also begun at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta airport as of Saturday morning and George Bush Intercontinental Airport in Houston will begin late Tuesday.

First American Case Identified

The order, which also applies to green card holders from those countries, comes as an international Christian aid group confirmed one of its members, an American doctor working in the outbreak zone, is among those who have a confirmed Ebola infection. The organization, Serge, said that Peter Stafford, a physician who had been working at a hospital in Bunia since 2023, in northeastern DRC, tested positive for the Bundibugyo ebolavirus variant.

Historical Precedent

This is the first time the U.S. has imposed a travel ban in response to an Ebola outbreak. In the past, officials have relied on a containment strategy that has included enhanced screening of travelers at ports of entry, as was the case during the 2018-2019 Ebola outbreak during President Trump's first term. At the time, the CDC coordinated a combination of exit screenings of personnel leaving affected areas and further checks at airports.

Screening Procedures

On Thursday, the CDC said screening at Dulles will include a questionnaire that asks about travel history and any symptoms. CDC staff will also observe travelers for signs of illness and take temperatures. Traveler contact information will be shared with state and local health departments in the event they develop symptoms later.

Sources

Related coverage